The signal to noise ratio on my cellphone / pda / smartphone is too high. I want a pager just for nagios notifications so I can leave my phone on vibrate. Apparently pagers have dissappeared. I toiled on AT&T/Cingular’s site for a while, and found a few articles from years past about how pagers were going away.
So the logical conclusion? Grab another SIM card and get another device to use as a pager. I can’t find one though. I can’t believe that.
- Rugged – Mil-spec whatever. No worries about dropping it.
- Long battery life – Weeks to months
- Small Form Factor – Think the old Motorola Advisors, must disappear onto a belt clip.
- Simple UI – Getting the text messages must be a single button.
- Sound/Vibrate – Should have a switch to go from vibrate to audible pretty easily.
I don’t really care if it has a qwerty keyboard and can do two-way communciation. I’d be okay with that. Really I just need the above features. It can have more if it so desires.