I went to move a db from a sql 2000 to a sql 2005 developer edition database yesterday. I detached the database from enterprise manager then attached it using the new do it all app whose name I forget right now. Next time I opened the configuration app I got an XML related error with the message “Object reference not set to an instance of an object”. Some searching on the net only found solutions related to visual studio. I noticed some recommendations to run “aspnet_regiis.exe -i” in the %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 folder, but that didn’t do much. There were a ton of .NET results though. I checked windows update and saw that automatic updates hadn’t been installing because windows installer 3.1 wasn’t installed (this is a bad, bad thing), ran through updates which included a .net update, a reboot, and everything was fine again.
stupid sql 2005 notes
Leave a reply