I downgraded to an earlier version of raidiator on friday and saw no improvement in the memory black hole over the weekend. The frustrating part is being unable to tell where it is going, rather than trying to fix the problem with a particular daemon that I may not have the customized source for. My earlier blog entry about this is here. There’s more data from today in the netgear forum thread.
I did find this LKML thread by Mike Fedyk who did most of the upgrades to the munin memory script for 2.6. I can see in the thread that he decided to use the Total-Free-everythingelse=AppsUsed calculation, and I don’t see any big light bulbs in that thread to help solve my problem. I see on the net that someone that used to idle in #swn on irc is connected to a Mike Fedyk, so I’ve emailed him asking for an introduction before I try to harass him directly with the problem. I’m going to assume this is his LJ with a post about performance tuning.
My munin-users thread can be found here, for the record. I’m going to look around for more utilities to track down memory usage, although the lkml thread makes me feel like that may not be happening. I posted in the netgear thread asking for a kernel upgrade but the best advice I’ve gotten there so far is “our perl may be broken. stop running munin” so I’m not sure anyone technical is listening.